Translate

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Impetigo and not pimples


A few days ago, I posted that my son got his first pimple. I was concerned because pimples usually indicate the onset of puberty.

I even decided to give my nine year old a brief talk about puberty and how he might start noticing strange stuff happening, especially when it comes to hair in strange places.

My mother-in-law recognized the blisters that were developing as impetigo and suggested we take him to the doctor's office.

The next day, we took him in for an appointment, and sure enough it was impetigo.

Impetigo is a contagious skin infection that is caused by two types of bacteria - streptococcus or staphylococcus. His doctor said his was a staph infection. She prescribed him antibiotic ointment and oral medication.

You can learn more about impetigo HERE and HERE.

No comments: