Translate

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Making Mexican rice


My parents are masters when it comes to cooking Mexican rice. With a recipe and instructions my mom gave and after several failed attempts, I think I might have finally mastered Mexican rice.

I also may have found the problem that caused my previous failed attempts. I was using a saucepan where I should have been using a frypan.

I did modify a few of my mom's ingredients to create my own Mexican rice. Similarly, Mexican rice should be your own creation, so feel free to change. The basic thing to remember is rice and water.


Mom's Recipe  My Recipe
Brown rice in olive oil  Brown rice in olive oil 
Add 2 tablespoons of can tomato sauce
to brown rice 
With a molcajete, grind chopped tomatoes to
sauce then add to brown rice
Add Knorr bouillon and water Add low sodium chicken broth without MSG  
Add cumin powder, black pepper and salt  Add cumin powder, black pepper and salt
Add chopped onions, tomatoes, and
thinly sliced bell pepper 
Add chopped onions and tomatoes
Add a whole Serrano pepper for flavor Let simmer, stir occasionally,
add water as needed
Let simmer, stir occasionally,
add water as needed





Photo taken on October 28, 2013 with the iPhone 5S.

No comments: