Translate

Monday, October 14, 2013

Batting practice and showing respect


There are times I find it close to impossible to teach or suggest certain techniques to my son. For example, when I am about to share my thoughts on how he can improve his swing, he responds, "I know, daddy. You don't have to tell me. I know."

So, I leave it up to his coaches to explain how he can improve his game. And many of these coaches do provide some great advice. However, soon after he leaves the coaches, he starts to whine how his coaches tell him things he knows how to do.

"Respect your coaches," I tell him.

"One says to 'watch the ball and follow through.' The other says 'follow through,' I am doing both. They are just not looking. What a waste of time."

Let me back up a bit and explain his comment. So, we got to batting practice at 5:30 p.m. To kill time, I figured we could practice throwing and catching. In the process, he lost his place in line and had to wait another 30 minutes.

"You have to learn to respect your coaches. It's a lesson you should learn before you get into middle school or high school. Coaches there will sit you out, if you show disrespect," I explained.

Nonetheless, he did do good in the batting cage. He just needs to focus on the ball and follow through with his swing.


video



No comments: