Translate

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Black Beauty's accident



We were driving home when my son and I experienced a dramatic event.

It had been raining for days--something which is unusual in mid-July in Central Texas.

After meeting my friend at World Market, we were driving home on the access road of I-35.

I decided to take access road instead of the interstate because it was raining and the roads were slick, and since it was rush hour the traffic was heavy.

We approached the light at the intersection of the access road and Louis Henna Blvd. We came to a stop and waited for the light to turn green.

Then it happened. Our car was hit from behind and caused my car to hit the car in front of me.

"Daddy, what did you do?" my son asked as he was trying to assess the situation.

"Nothing. I was hit," I responded as I put the car in park, opened the door, and stepped out of the car. I looked at the car behind me and saw a lady step out of her vehicle. At first, I thought perhaps this was a multi-car accident where the person behind her hit her causing her to hit me. It wasn't, though.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I was following too close," she responded, "are you okay?"

"Yes."

"Let's move," she said as she signaled towards the strip mall.

As we were talking, the car in front of me decided to keep driving when the light turned green. I got in my car and moved it to the strip mall parking lot. I thought perhaps the driver in front of me would pull in as well, but that driver continued on.

After we parked, we both got out of our cars and inspected the damage. My car, which I named Black Beauty, looked hurt. Her trunk was damaged as well as her hood. The driver's door was hard to open, and she felt like she was hurting.

We exchanged our insurance information and both agreed that it was her fault for hitting my car.

It took about a week for her insurance company to contact me, and it took another week for them to assess the damage and determine that indeed it was damaged and needed repair.

So, for the past month my car has been at the auto body shop getting fixed. Since then, I've been extremely missing my Black Beauty as I feel as if I'm cheating on her with all these different rental cars. Tonight, I get her back.


No comments: