Translate

Monday, May 27, 2013

Spinnin' vinyls


A coworker and I like to visit estate sales on Fridays during our lunch break. We receive a list of estate sales, a few days before, so we get to choose which sales to visit. My coworker looks for vintage vinyl records and military clothing and gear. I look for sales that have oil paintings, art, and collectibles.

On a recent trip to an estate sale, I came across a vintage Fisher Price record player. It was very similar to the record player I had when I was a kid. Needlesstosay, it brought back memories.

When I was a kid, we had basic cable and HBO. The stations I only watched were TBS, WGN, and the local stations. This was before DVR and TIVO; one had to rely on the TV Guide for show times. So between shows I had my record player to keep me entertained.

At some point in my young life, I had an appreciation for DJs. I mimicked DJs as I would play records on my Fisher Price record player. My radio station played The Great Muppet Caper soundtrack, Michael Jackson's Triller album, and Chicago IX album. I kept away from my dad's Pink Floyd album. Too scary.

I took DJing seriously. When my dad and I would visit Camelot Music at the mall or Wal-Mart, I would get singles of the latest songs.

I was also narcissistic. With my mom's tape recorder, which she used for work, I would record my DJing on tape.

The Fisher Price record player stayed with me through elementary and middle school. As tapes got cheaper, vinyls began disappearing from the store shelves. But that record player kept me entertained when I needed it.


 
 
 
 

 

No comments: