Translate

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Drink water instead of soda

I remember buying a 24 pack of Diet Coke for the week, when I was new to Austin. I was young and had my own place--no parents to tell me what was wrong or right. It was freedom. Me, my dog, Chato, and Diet Coke.

I would drink a diet soda in the morning, one during lunch, a couple by dinner, and one before bedtime. Yes, it was that bad.

Although I drank diet soda, I still opted for a cheese burger or fried chicken and french fries.

Interestingly, a research paper published last year found that what we drink determines the food we eat. According to the research by T. Bettina Corwell, Ph.D. and Anna R. McAlister, Ph.D., young adults who drank soda selected foods that were more salty and high in calories. Meanwhile children who were served water ate more vegetables.

It wasn't until I met my wife that I stopped drinking Diet Coke. She told me that drinking too many cokes were bad for me and my teeth. Sure enough. I had developed four molar cavities within the two years of drinking soda.

In our house we may have bottles of wine, liquor, beer, juices, and coconut water, but no sodas. We purposely kept sodas away from my son until he was much older. The results have been him prefering water or juice with his dinner.

It's a hard habit to break, I know. But try it. Switch to water during you meals and see if you notice a change in health. You have nothing to loose.

You can read more on Corwell and McAlister's research HERE and HERE.





Sources: Contingent Choice: Exploring the Relationship Between Sweetened Beverages and VegetableWisdom from Water, Austin Awakening, January 2013; http://myurbannutrition.com/; www.americancityandcounty.com


 

No comments: