Translate

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Coffee and Health


CoffeeA few years ago, I began seeing white floaters in my field of vision. It's more obvious when I'm starring at the computer screen or daytime driving.

Naturally, this concerned me. I went to an ophthalmologist and told her my issue. She explained that with age, some people begin to loose eye sight--age-related eye degeneration. She also raised concerns that I'm at risk of developing glaucoma.

I came across some articles that found correlation between coffee and glaucoma. Supposedly, researchers found that over a 20 year period, coffee drinkers had a 66% chance of developing exfoliation glaucoma--dandruff-like flakes that blocks fluid from leaving the eye.

Sh*t! I've been drinking 3 to 4 cups of coffee for the past 10 years or so. I thought coffee was found to help prevent heart disease and skin cancer and prostate cancer.

The researchers of this study suspect that caffeinated coffee may raise levels of homocysteine, which has been linked to cardiovascular disease.

Since reading further on the findings, I've started cutting down my morning coffee intake. Instead of having four cups of coffee, I'm drinking two cups. Yes, I do find myself searching the office for that additional cup of coffee. It's hard. Really hard.


Sources: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/10/study-coffee-associated-with-glaucoma/263254/http://blog.womenshealthmag.com/thisjustin/does-coffee-really-make-you-blind/http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-10-09/news/34346968_1_caffeine-intake-coffee-consumption-three-or-more-cups; Wikipedia

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Damn that sucks! I recently switched my husband over to half caff. He's been feeling better!

Doug Hickok said...

Oops, I am a lover of coffee too... this bodes badly for the eyes of a photographer!