Translate

Monday, August 6, 2012

Tooth #9

I had a root canal performed on the central incisor (left front tooth) a few days ago.

During my family summer vacation, I started noticing something wrong with my immune system. Then I felt a sharp pain when drinking cold water. I felt weak and tired. Something was wrong. Could it have been one of the mayan mosquitos? I didn't know.

The discomfort disappeared after a few days, but returned everytime I would drink something hot or cold. I thought perhaps it was allergies.

The nagging discomfort became more apparent. While working out on the circuits or cardio machines, it felt as if my tooth was wanting to come off.

I made an appointment with my dentist. I was hoping it was something simple like allergies, or a cavity or something. No. My tooth was dying.

Supposedly, the front tooth suffered trauma. She asked if I could recall the event, while pointing out that the tooth was losing color. I couldn't pinpoint exactly when or how it happened.

Afterwards, I started to remember my tooth getting hit by my son's head. It bled along the gum line. I remembered tooth sensitivity after the hit, but wasn't too concerned when the sensitivity disappeared.

I returned to my dentist and she performed the root canal, and it was not what I expected. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect. Would I lose a tooth? Would there be a lot of drilling? Will gunk spill out of my root?

None of that, really. Well, there was drilling, but not too much and it didn't take long. She did have to scrap the dead nerves with a thin wire. And there was a little gunk I could taste that wasn't blood. She was quick about the root canal, and before I knew it, it was over.

So, I have to return for another two procedures. The next one, which will be longer, is when my tooth gets filed to fit a temporary crown. The last procedure will be when I get my permanent crown.

The great thing is that I can now drink water (hot or cold) without pain--yes, it was that bad.

No comments: