Translate

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Stump That Is My Tooth

Earlier this month, I blogged about a root canal that was done on my central incisor (left front tooth).

Last Monday, my dentist completed the root canal and placed a temporary crown--my permanent crown arrives the day after Labor Day.

The procedure was a bit more painful than the first root canal. Actually, the administration of the local anesthesia was what hurt. All else was painless. Of course, there was tugging and then chipping.

What I feared was happening before me--the tooth known as #9 was going to be chipped to a stump. This was my tooth--the tooth that I grew up look at in the mirror since I was seven or eight years old. It was the tooth that was a part of braces. It made my smile attract my wife--among other things. Needlesstosay, it was devastating watching chips flying off my mouth.

As the dentist stopped chipping my tooth and told me to relax for a while, I set my tongue to explore the landscape. Then I felt it. My tooth. A stump, really. I could feel the other incisor starting to bully the poor little thing.

I then began to think about how my mouth would look if I would lose my crown. What if I break my crown and have to live with my stump because I can't afford another crown. All these things were running rapid.

My dentist returned and fit my temporary crown. When she asked me to close my mouth and grind, I could feel my front teeth. The stump had its crown and it felt like a tooth.

I was given a mirror and before me was a smile with what appeared to be a complete set of teeth. Amazing. Not even my eight year old could tell which tooth was the crown.

I do miss my tooth and wish I could have taken better care of it, but I also am impressed with dentistry.

No comments: