Translate

Saturday, February 25, 2012

My old cellular phone and my ear

I recall how excited I was about getting my first cellular phone.  I had been using a slick looking Motorola pager throughout high school and college, so the cell phone was perhaps the mark of adulthood for me.

I had been debating months and months as to whether I needed a cell phone. Back then service was a bit pricey and coverage was sparse, so it was hard to make that commitment to pay for something that only works in certain areas.  Roaming... Roaming...

I think who encouraged me to finally commit to a cell phone was my friends and "girlfriend." The only way they could get a hold of me was by sending me number messages to my pager-- my girlfriend, who use to work as a police dispatcher and had a great way to communicate using only numbers. At times I miss the old days when it was easy to escape and not be found.

Anyways, after class I rushed to the local Sprint store and chose my phone which was probably a few inches longer than my current cell phone but three times heavy.

With my new phone, I found myself talking to my girlfriend at night extensively--unlimited calling after 7 pm. What would we talk about? I have no clue. I think there was a lot of "I miss you" and "I love you." Oh god, young love can be so pathetic.

Well, after using my cell phone for long periods of time and years, I began noticing ear aches and pressure on the right side of my head. Then I noticed the media health study reports of the correlation of cell phone use and brain cancer.

It's common now to google "cell phone and health risks" and find a report or article regarding the effects of radiation emitted from cell phones and the increased risk of glioma, a type of tumor that starts in the brain and spine. One such article I came across is from the November/December 2011 issue of Energy Times titled "Calling on Caution."

Is society going to turn their cell phones in?  I doubt it. The cell phone was once considered a luxury that everyone wanted (similar to today's iPad). Now I think the cell phone has become somewhat a necessity as people are dumping their landlines. 

As presented in the article, a few suggestions to limit your exposure to cell phone radiation is to use a landline phone when possible, a headset, or the speakerphone. Since practicing those suggestions, I haven't noticed any ear aches or head pain. Knock on wood.

Source: http://www.energytimes.com/pages/departments/1111/earthmatters1111.html

Visit my blog at http://photographywritingandmore.blogspot.com/

No comments: