Translate

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Bronze U.S.S. Enterprise

It's amazing how easy it is to find the value of a collectable. For example, a few weeks ago, I went on the Internet to find out some information regarding a purchase I made 17 years ago--the bronze cast of the U.S.S. Enterprise from Star Trek The Original Series.

NCC 1701 1993 PAR-PIC

I found a great website, http://www.collectorsquest.com/, posted my question, and the following day I received a response to my inquiry.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sell my U.S.S. Enterprise ship. It has sentimental value. Let me explain.

When I was 17 years old, my parents and I traveled to Pasadena, California for the Star Trek Grand Slam Convention. Yes, this Trekker (not Trekkie), begged and begged my parents to take me to California as my last trip before high school graduation.

I'll keep this entry focused on this ship and not digress. Perhaps I'll elaborate further on my experience at this convention in a later post.

Anyways, I recall walking into the showroom and being intimidated by all the vendors and the tchotchkes each were selling. I quickly began purchasing hologram key chains, bookmarks, and other little trinket. Then I came across a kiosk where a gentleman was selling bronze cast U.S.S. Enterprises. I think he was selling each for $20 and only had the this version of the U.S.S. Enterprise left.

I debated whether to purchase it since I wasn't really a TOS fan. I was more of a Trekker and a fan of TNG and DS9. Something just told me I needed to purchase this ship and I did. 

I remember walking around the convention center with this 3 1/2 pound desktop statue. I even stood in line for two hours waiting for the autograph of actress Robin Curtis (Vulcan Lieutenant Saavik), who was delayed because of a small earthquake.

After getting Robin Curtis' autograph, I noticed my dad walking through the crowd towards me.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I was confused since I really didn't know what I heard was an earthquake. Yes, the ground moved, but I thought it was a diesel truck moving above the ground. Nope, it was an earthquake and I was in it.

I then noticed the stack of headshot photos in my dad's hands. One of them being of Majel Barret-Roddenberry--yes, Gene Roddenberry's wife.

My dad had presented himself as a concerned parent looking for his son who was just in an earthquake.  Naturally, they let him in. And like my father, he was able to obtain autographs of actors in his attempt to find his 17 year old son.

Ah... see, I went on a tangent. Anyways, my question was posted on http://www.collectorsquest.com/, and my question was answered within hours:
When it comes to Star Trek collectibles, I’m something of an oldschool collector. Many were the hours I wiled away while looking at the pages upon pages of black and white ads for unusual Star Trek collectibles, and I even stumbled into some official Roddenberry Archives slides once… but I digress.
This Enterprise was released by Paramount Pictures in 1993, as part of a small series of the various iterations of the legendary Star Trek ship. “How much is this worth?” is a question which only has one answer : “How much would someone pay for this thing?” The answer can be found by diving deep into the Internet.

As of August of 2011, this particular ship sold for about $50 bucks. There are a few floating around out there (including the Next Generation Enterprise, which is having a hard time selling for $40 bucks), so unfortunately, it’s not an exceptionally rare collectible, but collecting Enterprises is like collecting Batmobiles : you can never collect just one. You just need to find the right Enterpeise enthusiast and you’ll be set. 
So, my bronze Enterprise is worth about $50.  Cool, huh.

1 comment:

Jax said...

That's awesome! But it seems the sentimental value is way more :)