Translate

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Oh, the back pain

A few years ago, I noticed a nagging pain that ran from the arch of my foot up to my lower back.  This went on for several months until I decided to find the cause. 

I visited my doctor to ask about the pain on my foot arch. I told him that I saw on the Internet that this could be plantar fasciitis.  He disagreed and instead told me that this could be due to my weight. 

At the start of the new year, I decided to change my eating habits and began my weight loss challenge--you can read more about my diet story HERE

Sure enough, the pain that I felt disappeared as soon as I lost my weight. 

I came across an article in my wife's Redbook discussing four reasons for the back pain. Although the article focuses on women, I thought perhaps the reasons listed below could help men as well.

1. Shoes with soles that don't absorb shock.
2. For parents, lifting kids incorrectly.  I'd also include weight gain.
3. Stretching your spine while on the cell phone.  I'd also include your sleep position and how you rest your head on your pillow.
4. Sitting for long periods of time can have an effect on your back.  I blogged about my experience HERE.

You can read the complete article HERE.

Source: "4 sneaky reasons your back hurts," Jessica Girdwain. Redbook. November 2011, Pg. 75.

Visit my blog at http://photographywritingandmore.blogspot.com/.

No comments: