Translate

Friday, November 11, 2011

Meeting Julio and Tenoch

Y Tu Mama Tambien is a 2001 Mexican film about two boys who fall in love with an older lady and set out on a road trip. The critically acclaimed film received many recognitions for its portrayal of two Mexican teenage boys, Julio and Tenoch.

The reason why I bring up this movie is because I recently met Julio and Tenoch. No, not the actors but rather two boys in thier teens who act very much like the teenagers in the movie. The sad thing is that these boys were traveling not with an older woman but a 60 year old man--my dad. 

Although retired, my father still teaches economics at the local university.  He's always had a connection with his students; many have stayed in contact with my dad years later. Granted, he is a mentor.

So, these boys I met are from Mexico who are attending a public university in the states.  One is from Torreon and the other from Monterrey.  Although both are nice and noble young men, listening to both conversing is like watching a dialogue exchange between Julio and Tenoch--every other word was accompanied with some sexual reference and inappropriate adult language. I was waiting for Maribel Verdu, the lady who played the older woman in Y Tu Mama Tambien, to walk in and capture the two's attention.

For as long as I can remember, my dad would introduce my mother and I to new characters that were his students. 

There was this female student who sang with me The Pointer Sisters' I'm So Excited during my dad's re-election campaign.  She had crazy hair, loud and always hyper.  I'm not sure what happened to her.

There were several other students who I terrorized during the years.  I would shoot spit-balls and water guns at many of them when they came over.  One of them I managed to shatter his sister's car windshield, accidently. 

These are just a few I can recall.

I guess the thing that troubles me is that my dad is in his sixties and running around with kids two generations his junior--in a sense, I can be these kids' father. Or perhaps I'm a bit jealous watching my father continue to grab the admiration and respect from his students.

Visit my blog at http://photographywritingandmore.blogspot.com/.

No comments: