Translate

Monday, September 19, 2011

How to receive

During the holidays, I enjoy giving gifts than receiving them--my parents would says otherwise.  Nonetheless, I love watching peoples reactions when they unwrap their gifts. 

I found an article in the Austin All Natural magazine--you've probably seen them on the magazine rack along with other free periodicals at Whole Foods or Central Market--by author and inspiration speaker Amanda Owen on how a giver can balance themselves to be a good receiver. 

In this article, she explains that we are taught at an early age to be givers but not receivers.  I can relate. 

I recall my dad and I watching Jerry Lewis' MDA Labor Day Telethon.  We had been enjoying the performance by the various musicians and comedians, when my dad suggested that we give some money for the kids.  He picked up the phone and started to dial.  When he got a live operator, he provided them the information they needed to make the donation.  That was about 30 years ago, and I still remember how it felt to know we gave money to "Jerry's kids."

Her article, however, points out that many of us weren't raised to be good receivers--evident on how "thank you" letters have become quaint and unusual.  I can't remember the last time I have written a thank you letter.

Amanda offers three steps to follow which may help balance "what you give with what you receive," such as: ask people to do their share; respond favorably with compliments; and start a daily journal that documents your appreciations.

To follow Amanda's suggestions, I have decided to dedicate Fridays to a weekly blog thanking people who have played an important role in my life that week.

You can read the entire article on page 15 HERE.

Source: http://austinallnatural.com/sites/austinallnatural.com/files/AAN_SEPT.2011-web.pdf

Visit my blog at http://photographywritingandmore.blogspot.com/

No comments: