Translate

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Writer's Block

I’ve always wanted to write a story; a sci-fi story, to be more precise. The story would begin 300 years or so in the future. Either the planet has encountered visitors or our nations have collaborated to invest in interstellar exploration. I doubt the latter since it seems our nations are sometimes at odds when it comes to space exploration and technology.

The ships mission is to find a new planet humans can call home. Earth’s resources are depleting.

I’m sure you’ve read or watched this story before. That’s what is probably giving me writers block. Perhaps it’s because I just can’t wrap myself into the story’s plot. Maybe I’m lacking dedication.

When I was a teen, I was a big fan of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine. I watched them religiously.
I recall thinking that I could write something similar to Star Trek. Perhaps I could write a story and send it to Star Trek’s producers. Maybe I could get my own episode. Then I imagined reading my name on the end credits.

I remember developing my characters and designing my own starship—I even named it, Charioteer. Corny, I know.

I thought-through the space traveling. I considered placing my crew under suspended animation as they travel in lightspeed to their destination.

What would be the plot? A premature awakening, attacking life-forms, a war, or a miscalculated voyage?

All these things were thought of and then ignored. I left the story alone and never returned to even begin.

How can I motivate myself to begin this story?

Maybe I’ll attempt on writing this and hope that I don’t loose focus.

Oh...look at the butterfly.  Damn, I lost focus...again.

No comments: