Translate

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Life after Death and the Movies

Yesterday I decided to watch a movie at the theaters. Since I've been wanting to watching HEREAFTER, I though I would check that out. Yeah, I didn't feel like a comedy or action type movies. Besides, when I searched for showtimes on Google, it indicated that it was a "suspense/thriller." Far from it, except for a couple of scenes. Perhaps "drama/suspense" would be the best category for this film.

Regardless, this post is not a critique about the movie; although the film was enjoyable, had good acting, and well filmed. This post is about the audience.

I went to the afternoon showing--I called in sick (*cough cough*). I got to the theater, bought my ticket, and found myself a center seat halfway to the top--prime location. Then again, who watches a movie on a Friday afternoon? Senior Citizens, that's who.

Before I rant, I have to say  that I have nothing against old people senior citizens.  They are our parents and grandparents, aunts and uncles, people who raised us, the people who taught us, the people who made our society, and our leaders.  Okay, enough of the I-feel-guilty-I-should-say-something-nice-before-I-feel-more-guilty.

I noticed that I was a bit too early for the movie.  So I decided to check my facebook page to see what my friends had posted since I last checked--a god aweful 15 minutes. I noticed an older couple walk into the theater.  They sat behind me.  I was a bit iritated since they could have chosen a seat a few rows up or down or diagonal from me.    Instead, I had to hear about so-and-so who called and said whatever. 

Then, another couple decided to sit on the row in front of me; however, they had the social courtesy to sit a few seats diagonal from me.  Thank you kind sir. 

A few other older couples came into the theater along with single older gentlemen.  They all sat scatteredly in the theater. 

As the movie previews began, a much older couple came into the theater and sat in my row a few seats away from me.  I had no problem with that at all, until what sounded like Camptown Races ringtone started playing.  It started low (one would think Matt Damon's character had a cell phone) then it got louder.  Clearly it came from the person sitting a few seats away from me.

The poor lady couldn't hear it.  Her husband had to point out the noise coming from her purse.  She searched through her bag and fumbled to open the phone.  At this point, you'd think she would turn the phone off.  Nope.  She answered and began a conversation.  The person sitting in front of them moved a couple of rows down irritated.  Others in the theater were annoyed.  Many of us were distracted from what seemed to be a good part of the movie. 

The lady closed her phone and began to speak with her husband about the call.  After a few minutes, she got up and walked out of the theater.  Because she walked slowly down the stairs, many of us turned to look at her--it was obvious she was having a difficult time with the stairs. 

She returned, sat for a while, spoke to her husband, then they both left the movie.  I think many of us were relieved.  Or maybe I was the only one relieved.  But hey, I got to enjoy the movie more after they left the theater.    

The movie is about life after death.  There are three main characters: a pyschic who is able to communicate with the dead; a woman who experienced death; and a boy who lost his twin brother.  All are trying to deal with death. 

As I was watching this movie, I began to think about the after life.  I looked around and wondered if the others in the audience were wondering the same thing.  Then it dawned on me--I am sitting with people older than me.  No one was my age or younger.  Then I really started thinking about my demise.

Of course, I won't end this blog posting sour.  I did come away feeling proud of my son.  I came away with wanting to appreciate life with my son and wife more.  We have so little time on this earth and it should be enjoyed as much as possible with loved one.

No comments: