Before January, I had unsuccessfully attempted tp gain control of my weight. When I initially weighed myself on January 9, the start of my diet, the scale registered at 158. That's a lot for someone who is only 5'4". Chances are I might have weighed a bit more since my waist 33 pants were feeling a bit snugged and I had started taking it easy with the food intake.
Now, I weigh 135, which is probably what I weighed when I got married. I feel great. I can go up and down the stairs without problems. My feet don't ache as much, and I'm not always hungry.
My diet involved black coffee before driving to work, a whole grapefruit--preferably ruby red--at around 10 am. For lunch I had one Lean Cuisine meal and either water or a diet coke. In the evenings, I only ate half of what I was served, and didn't have a dessert or a snack afterwards.
Honestly, the first few days was a challenge. I would wake up in the middle of the night starving, but I held out until the next morning. It was tough, but I managed through.
Within a month I lost ten pounds. My clothes began to fit loose and I had more energy than I did. I thought about quiting, but doing so would be somewhat cheating. My new year;s resolution was to loose weight not stop eating for a month and call it a diet.
I continued on and managed to loose another ten pounds within the next few weeks. Now I am enjoying a 31 waist, better fit clothes, and a much healthier lifestyle.
I don't eat sweets, although I do miss it; especially the Dunkin Donuts. I continue to manage my food intake--I only eat until I am full. I also walk a bit more during the day. The key is to keep active as much as possible.
My tips on how to loose weight:
- Weigh yourself with a scale;
- Determine your weight goal;
- Grocery shop for apples, pears, oranges, or grapefruits (women may want to keep away from grapefruit since some studies have linked them with breast cancer);
- Shop for vegetables;
- Purchase Lean Cuisine meals--check the Sunday ads for coupons;
- Switch away from butter and margarine to non-stick spray;
- Avoid sugar and milk;
- Switch from regular soda to diet soda or better yet, water;
- Drink water throughout the day;
- In the morning, eat a fruit;
- At lunch, eat one Lean Cuisine meal;
- In the afternoon, eat another fruit;
- At dinner, eat only half your plate serving;
- At night, if you are looking for a snack, eat a fruit;
- Weigh yourself daily or every other day; and
- When you meet your goal, stick with your healthy lifestyle.