Translate

Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Diet Story

At the beginning of the year I made some new years resolutions. Like many other individuals who give themselves goals, many of which are quite difficult to accomplish, mine dealt with my weight.

Before January, I had unsuccessfully attempted tp gain control of my weight. When I initially weighed myself on January 9, the start of my diet, the scale registered at 158. That's a lot for someone who is only 5'4". Chances are I might have weighed a bit more since my waist 33 pants were feeling a bit snugged and I had started taking it easy with the food intake.

Now, I weigh 135, which is probably what I weighed when I got married. I feel great. I can go up and down the stairs without problems. My feet don't ache as much, and I'm not always hungry.

My diet involved black coffee before driving to work, a whole grapefruit--preferably ruby red--at around 10 am. For lunch I had one Lean Cuisine meal and either water or a diet coke. In the evenings, I only ate half of what I was served, and didn't have a dessert or a snack afterwards.

Honestly, the first few days was a challenge. I would wake up in the middle of the night starving, but I held out until the next morning. It was tough, but I managed through.

Within a month I lost ten pounds. My clothes began to fit loose and I had more energy than I did. I thought about quiting, but doing so would be somewhat cheating. My new year;s resolution was to loose weight not stop eating for a month and call it a diet.

I continued on and managed to loose another ten pounds within the next few weeks. Now I am enjoying a 31 waist, better fit clothes, and a much healthier lifestyle.

I don't eat sweets, although I do miss it; especially the Dunkin Donuts. I continue to manage my food intake--I only eat until I am full. I also walk a bit more during the day. The key is to keep active as much as possible.

My tips on how to loose weight:

  1. Weigh yourself with a scale;
  2. Determine your weight goal;
  3. Grocery shop for apples, pears, oranges, or grapefruits (women may want to keep away from grapefruit since some studies have linked them with breast cancer);
  4. Shop for vegetables;
  5. Purchase Lean Cuisine meals--check the Sunday ads for coupons;
  6. Switch away from butter and margarine to non-stick spray;
  7. Avoid sugar and milk;
  8. Switch from regular soda to diet soda or better yet, water;
  9. Drink water throughout the day;
  10. In the morning, eat a fruit;
  11. At lunch, eat one Lean Cuisine meal;
  12. In the afternoon, eat another fruit;
  13. At dinner, eat only half your plate serving;
  14. At night, if you are looking for a snack, eat a fruit;
  15. Weigh yourself daily or every other day; and
  16. When you meet your goal, stick with your healthy lifestyle.

Good luck!

No comments: