Translate

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Influenza Virus


For the past several days, I have been tracing my steps back to figure out when I got infected with the flu virus. My wife and little boy were not affect, thank God. So, it must have been when I was alone at the grocery store or the bank.

It is spread through the air by someone sneezing, coughing, or speaking. The flu virus, which can live outside a body for no more than 48 hours, can be transmitted if a person touches a surface where an infected person sneezes or coughs. The flu virus can live longer on nonporous surfaces such as plastic, metal, or wood.

A person can be contagious one day before and up to five days after the infected person shows signs of the flu. I'm on day four.

On Monday, President's Day, I suffered with what I thought were server allergies. The following day (Tuesday) I woke up with a 102.5 fever. I felt absolutely aweful.

My doctor prescribed Tamiflu. My little boy's pediatrician agreed that he should be on Tamiflu as well, just in case.

Wednesday and Thursday were spent sleeping and resting. In the morning I would wake up, take a shower, and get dressed. I prepared my little boy's breakfast, got him ready for school, and then drive him to his daycare. When I returned home, I would change back into my lounge wear and crawl back into bed.

It's amazing what the flu can do to a person's brain. During the night, I would dream some weird stuff. At times I would wake up thinking I heard footsteps. These sounds were vivid and real, but no one was around and my little boy was sound asleep.

The past two days, I've had a metallic taste. Everything I smell or taste is metallic, even the water.

This morning (Friday), I woke up much better. I still have a slight metallic taste, but my headache is much lighter. Although I am feeling better, I am still worried that I might be contagious.

This afternoon, I have a happy hour with my professional organization, which I am going to have to skip due to my health.

I'm expecting my health to return to full recovery by tomorrow, which is exactly five days after I first showed symptoms of the flu.

No comments: