Translate

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Partial Simple Syndactyly

I'm trying to find information on partial simple syndactyly. My little boy has webbed toes between the second and third toe on both feet.

Doing a quick web search, I found that this is hereditary. My wife is of German, Iroquois and English descent and she has webbed toes too.

By posting this on my blog, I was interested in whether there were any other individuals with webbed-toes. I wanted to share information and determine if this characteristic is common in certain areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webbed_toes
http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/full/85/8/1564
http://www.ajhg.org/AJHG/fulltext/S0002-9297(07)62659-7

3 comments:

Carrie Jo said...

I was doing a search on this because my own son has it too, also the second and third toes on both feet, which is apparently the most common form. I have German ancestors as well (my maiden name is Kassel) but I have not heard of anyone in my family or my husband's being born with webbed toes like our son. My husband has a different anomaly on one of his feet, though. He appears to have an extra ankle bone.

G Gilbert said...

Carrie Jo, my wife's family is from the Pennsylvania/Western NY area. I've heard that this is common among the Iroquois. Thanks for commenting.

Anonymous said...

Hi, my second and third toes are webbed to about 3/4 of the way up on both feet. My son's are webbed half way up. Definately an inherited genetic trait, one of my uncles and several cousins have the same toes webbed, however neither of my parents or my grandparents had webbed toes! We are all from the north west of England.